Emerge Aotearoa Housing

Emerge Aotearoa Housing provides social, transitional and emergency housing in many parts of New Zealand.

Social Housing  

Emerge Aotearoa Housing offers quality social housing to families and individuals on a low income that cannot otherwise afford suitable accommodation. Our houses are located in the North and South Islands.     

We work closely with many community housing networks across the country, including the Auckland Community Housing Providers’ Network (ACHPN), the Wellington Community Housing Providers’ Network, Te Waipounamu Community Housing Providers Network and we are a member of Community Housing Aotearoa (CHA). Emerge Aotearoa is a partner in Housing First Christchurch, the Aro Mai Housing First Collaboration in Wellington, and Te Tahi Whare Ora, Housing First Hawkes Bay. 

family at home

Sustaining Tenancies

We have a Sustaining Tenancies programme in Auckland, Hamilton, Hawkes Bay, Masterton, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin and Invercargill where we work with people who are at risk of losing their current tenancy. We help them to address the issues that may be threatening their tenancy such as budgeting or maintenance, to prevent them from losing their home. Referrals for this service can be made by whānau, individuals, private landlords, agencies or community services that are working with the tenant.

Emergency Housing  

Emerge Aotearoa Housing also has emergency housing for people, in partnership with the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development and the Ministry of Social Development. Our team works with emergency housing tenants one-on-one to identify and work through any other concerns in their lives such as budgeting, social isolation and mental health issues. We then help to connect them to services or organisations that can support them, while continuing to work with them on finding a permanent home. 

All applications for emergency housing are processed by Work and Income. To discuss if you are eligible for social or emergency housing, contact your Work and Income case worker. Call the national number 0800 559 009 or visit workandincome.govt.nz/housing for more information.